EP122: Edelman Trust Barometer Report 2022 – You can trust me. I’m in advertising.
Founded by Daniel Edelman in 1952, Edelman is one of the largest communication groups in the world and for the past 22 years Edelman Trust Barometer reports have become a beacon for companies seeking to navigate the murky waters of building trust through communication.
Insights contained in the Edelman Trust Barometer Report 2022 were extracted from a global online sample of 36,000 respondents in 28 countries. The 2022 Report sheds light on the global Trust Zeitgeist through 4 primary silos … Business/ NGOs/ Government/ Media.
In this podcast we explore some of the key findings from the 2022 report including
• The significant decline in trust in democracies since last year
• The emergence of “my company” as a trusted communication lens through which to view the world
• The trust gap between the “haves” and the “have-nots”
• The general erosion in trust for advertising and media - and social media in particular
It’s a sobering thought that 59% of respondents say that their default position is to distrust until they see evidence to the contrary.
Interesting insights from analysing the Edelman Trust Barometer Reports from a trend perspective.
• 2003 “Earned media becomes more credible than Advertising” - the emergence of the POE model.
• 2005 “Trust shifts from ‘Authorities to Peers’ – the birth of influencer marketing.
• 2010 “Performance & transparency deemed essential to Trust” – the commitment to walking the walk not just talking the talk.
Many of these narratives have since become embedded in the lexicon of marketers and advertisers.
What does this mean for marketers and advertisers? What do we need to think about when we are crafting advertising messaging and making media planning decisions? Tune in and listen to The Doc and the Guru Podcast